mb header

(MOBILE): 07768 340340    TEL: 01246 411777
email: mike@mbmotorcycletraining.co.uk

home page
find us
licence options
getting started
theory test
practical test
restricted access
direct access
accelerated access
the law

call now

The Law


New motorcycle rules coming into force

New Rules from 19th January 2013

See also : Routes to your motorcycle licence
(you can save a copy of this by clicking on the link and doing Shift + Ctrl + S)

Before you can ride a motorcycle on the road you must comply with certain legal requirements which fall into two categories

* Those with which YOU must comply
* Those with which your MOTORCYCLE must comply

Vehicle excise duty

Also known as the 'vehicle licence' or 'road tax'. You must display the 'tax disc' on the vehicle.

You can get the vehicle licence application form at any post office and most main post offices can accept your application.

The fee varies with engine size. Click here for latest vehicle excise rates

The classes are

* Not over 150cc
* Over 150cc up to 400cc
* Over 400cc up to 600cc
* All other motorcycles

When you apply to renew your vehicle excise licence you must produce

* A vehicle test certificate (MOT) if your motorcycle is three years old and over
* A valid certificate of insurance
* An excise licence renewal form

Older motorcycles

Motorcycles registered before 1st of January 1973 are exempt from tax but should display a tax free (historic) disc.

The vehicle test certificate (MOT)

The MOT test applies to all motorcycles, mopeds and scooters over 3 years old. The test must be carried out every year at an appointed vehicle testing station.

The purpose of the test is to check that your motorcycle is roadworthy. When your machine passes the test you'll be given a vehicle test certificate which you'll need to produce when you renew your vehicle excise licence.

If your motorcycle fails the test you must not ride it on the road unless you're taking it to have the faults corrected or unless you're taking it for an arranged retest.

It's illegal to ride without insurance. Before you take a motorcycle onto public roads you must get proper insurance cover.

Types of insurance

Third party. This is the cheapest and legal minimum type of insurance cover. The 'third party' is any person you might injure or property you might damage. You aren't covered for injury to yourself or damage to your motorcycle.

If you damage a car the owner could claim against you. Or, if someone damaged your motorcycle you could claim against them.

Third party fire and theft. The same as third party but it also covers you for your motorcycle being stolen or damaged by fire.

Comprehensive. This is the best, but most expensive insurance. Apart from covering other people and property from injury and damage this covers

* Damage to your machine
* Replacement of parts damaged in an accident
* Personal injury to yourself

Pillion passenger insurance. All policies used to automatically include cover for a pillion passenger but now you can decide whether to have that cover included or not. You can, apparently, save up to 10% by not taking out cover for a pillion passenger and, of course, never carrying one.

The cost of insurance. This varies with

* Your age - the younger you are, the more it will cost
* The make of your motorcycle
* The power and capacity of the engine
* Where you live

Engine-size groups for insurance purposes can vary from one insurer to another so it pays to shop around.

Exactly what is and what isn't insured can vary from company to company so read the small print and ask your insurer or broker.

You'll often have to pay the first £50 or £100 of any claim. This is called the 'excess'.

The certificate of insurance. This is a short and simple document which certifies

* Who is insured
* The type vehicle covered
* The kind of insurance cover
* The period of cover
* The main conditions

Sometimes a broker will give you a temporary certificate or 'cover note'. This is issued while you're waiting for your certificate and is proof of insurance.

Keep the cetificate safe and produce it

* If the police ask you
* When you apply to renew your vehicle excise licence

The policy document. This contains the full details of the contract between you and the insurance company. It's usually written in legal language. Ask your broker or the insurance company to explain any details which you don't understand.

By law, you must wear a safety helmet when riding a motorcycle on the road. All helmets sold in the UK must
* Comply with: ECE 22.05 motorcycle helmet safety standard
For more details, see http://www.kitemark.com/products-and-services/protective-clothing/motorcycle-helmets.php


Web design by PeakEasy
Web hosting byPeakEasy
Search engine
optimisation by PeakEasy
a division of eBooks-UK Ltd.
© eBooks-UK Ltd 1998-2022

Motorcycle Training in Sheffield - Mike Barlow Motorcycle Training - Motorbike Training South Yorkshire, Motorcycle Training Chesterfield, Motorcycle Training Derbyshire

(MOBILE): 07768 340340    TEL: 01246 411777
email: mike@mbmotorcycletraining.co.uk
- website: www.mbmotorcycletraining.co.uk

Mike Barlow Motorcycle Training, Beech Works, Stubley Hollow, Wreakes Lane, Dronfield, S18 1PN

about us - find us - the law - licence options - CBT course - theory test - practical test
direct access - progressive access - testimonials - prices - links